Sunday, July 17, 2005

OS X Tiger - Installed

Upgrading to Tiger was easier than I thought. Since I wanted to do a clean install (wipe out the hard disk) and needed to safely backup my files & applications I went out and bought an external hard disk (LaCie 160 GB Firewire disk). Installing the disk was painless enough - no drives, all I had to do was plug into the power let, plug to firewire port and turn it on. I then used Super Duper! to close my computer to the new drive before running Tiger's installation. Once intalled, I ran Tiger's Migration Utility and set it to import all files/user profiles/application from the external hard disk. Once that was done, all settings/files/app were like in the old system. I didn't have to install a single application and so far everything seems to work fine. The new search capabilities of Tiger (not only Spotlight but the new revamped Finder) were well worth the trouble of upgrading. As a researcher, information retrieval is crucial to what I do and I'm overall very pleased with the new system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home