Saturday, March 04, 2006

And the torture is over!!!!!

I PASSED MY COMPS!!!!!!!!! I had my oral exam yesterday morning and I've never felt that nervous before in my life. Just before going in my supervisor told me I had no reason to feel nervous, both him and my second reader thought my written exam was one of the best they've seen (I thought it was absolute crap!) and that the orals would just be a conversation about it. That calmed me down a tad - enough to allow me to at least look relaxed and as the questions flowed I became more animated and before I knew it, it was over. I passed, they all shook my hand and my nightmare was over. The past few months have been the hardest of my life - I couldn't eat properly, I was so stressed I would feel sick to my stomach half the time. I almost quit. I started looking for alternative career plans. Now I'm glad all of that is over and I can move on!
People in my department say that the comps are very anti-climatic, that you don't get to use all the knowledge you acquired, that most people go into depression once it's over. Whatever. I don't care if it wasn't that difficult. I passed. Depression?? Give me a break - I'm going to Spain for research! and most importantly - I now get to read what I want for a change...

Next post will be about our preparations for our Great European Adventure!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Christian said...

Congratulations!

I am so happy for you! I never had any doubt that you would pass them with flying colours!

You earned some welcome relaxation on a Spanish beach! :)

Christian

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home